Monday, June 13, 2011

Another List of Recommended Summer Reading

I figured since I'm new to the whole blog thing, I would follow Riah's lead. Mine probably will not be as fancy or cool as hers, but it will get the job done. I will continue to add books as the summer goes on. Also a lot of these books will also be found on Riah's list, because she got me to read them, or vice versa. I do believe that Riah is right, everyone should have great books to curl up with this summer, and be whisked away to a fantasy land of sorts. So here it is, my list:

Dark Hunter series by Sherrilyn Kenyon
It tops my list for a number of reasons
1) It is a series that does not need to be read in chronological order
2) It is a highly addicting romance series - a little raunchy though
3) It has to do with vampires, and shape-shifters, and ancient mythology - it is more bad-ass and grown up than Twilight
4) The author is right here in good ol' TN!! I love supporting local authors!!!


Saving CeeCee Honeycutt by Beth Hoffman
I had been planning on reading this book for a while, when Riah told me she had been able to get a signed copy for me!! (thank you Beth and Riah!!) I no longer had an excuse not to read it! I was only on chapter 11 when I realized, I had cried, and laughed more than ever! It is truly about strong women, coming together and giving a 12 year old girl a family. All the characters were so witty, chock full of wisdom, and relatable that I felt like I knew them. Beth created imagery that was so vivid, I could smell the food Oletta cooked, and walked through Savannah, and helped Tootie with her garden. It was amazing! I recommend this book highly, especially for a mother - daughter read.

If you love books about vampires, but could puke if you hear about Twilight one more time, this book is for you! In my opinion this is a fantastic, yet under appreciated book. It is about a high school girl who is destined to marry a vampire prince, not knowing she is a vampire too. Jessica grew up on a farm, so watching her turn into a girly princess is a hilarious treat! It is no where as serious as Twilight, which is one of the many reasons i love it. It can and does, make fun of itself. It is a quick read, and rather inexpensive too.



Tell Me Where It Hurts: A Day of Humor, Healing, and Hope in My Life as an Animal Surgeon by Dr. Nick Trout
I'm so happy I decided to pick up this book. It is well worth the $15 I paid for it. This book is for animal lovers, owners, and anyone who works with animals at all. However, it is NOT for children, it is very sad in several parts. Well it is for people like me, who cry no matter how many times i have seen/read Old Yeller! If you are one of those people, keep tissue boxes close at hand. Despite the (many) sad parts, it is a magnificent book! I have not even finished it yet, and knew I had to write a review for it. Dr. Trout really knows how to write. I felt like I was working at Angell Animal Medical Center for a day, which is great for future vets (like me). I personally love how he gives you several examples of each case, showing how even the most simple of procedures can easily go the wrong way. For example, Trout has a case in which the patient needs surgery to remove a benign tumor and another operation to allow the dog to use its leg again. Both operations were a success, but after a few months the disease came back. The dog was euthanized. It not only shows the pain the "parents" feel, but, for once, talks about how the "executioner" handles their job, and grief. While this book is on my recommended reading, I believe it should be required for any animal lover, owner, and especially a vet student.

Hush, Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick
Hush, Hush is Becca Fitzpatricks first book. It was really good too, even though I hate not knowing the answer to things. This was a book that kept you guessing up until the very end. It was romantic, funny, suspenseful, thrilling, dark, and sexy all at once! However I PERSONALLY, do not think the reader got to know the characters enough. It would have been nice to feel "connected" to the characters, but you really only got the basics. Did Becca write a sequel, titled Crescendo, for this very reason? I have no idea - either way, I will be reading the it! - Aside from that it was a great break from all the crazy vampire/werewolf/shapeshifter/ love triangles i had been reading.

- Happy reading! :)



No comments:

Post a Comment