Monday, May 30, 2011

Saving CeeCee Honeycutt by Beth Hoffman Narrated by Jenna Lamia




This book had me captivated for all 10 hrs and 4 minutes of the audio version. Since I have trouble reading with my eyes, I usually do not want to go through the book myself without it being audio, but this book was so good I have downloaded the digital copy for my Ipad (because the print can be blown up) so I can listen to the Narrator and read along.

Saving CeeCee Honeycutt is a book about a young girl from Ohio who is born into a blended Yankee and southern family in the 1950's. CeeCee's mother is from Georgia, an ex pageant queen who on the surface seems like she has lost her nut, her father who is from Ohio is distant and travels so much his character is portrayed very little in the development of the story but has a large impact on the main character.

When we begin this book, Ceecee is a loner who's only friend is an elderly neighbor (Mrs Odell) who has been her sitter since she was an infant. Ceecee has a lack of friends but plenty of onlookers to her life within her small town in Ohio, because of her mothers "eccentricities". But what we find out throughout the development of this plot is that maybe her mom isn't so crazy after all, maybe it is just a true case of being homesick for the south. There is an old saying, you can take the girl out of the south but you cant take the south out of the girl. In this book this saying is screamed from all the pages. It speaks of the southern culture and how the northern people are lacking in the community area of southern culture.

Being a Yankee from birth myself, who moved to the South in my teens like Ceecee did I fully understand this sentiment. I remember my youth in the north, but my southern youth is what warms my heart. Strong women, warm hearts and the power of community togetherness is powerfully prevalent in this book. I loved every word, nuance and chapter.

This book has captured a culture better than any other "southern" genre that I have read thus far ever could.

If you have yet to read, or listen to this book it is a must have. Check it out on Audible.com by clicking the ad.

Happy Holidays! Download a FREE audiobook today!


Jenna Lamia has captured the characters in this book in such an amazing way, she is quickly becoming my favorite Narrator for books with southern charm.

This book is great for anyone looking for a light read that has laughter, tears, warm fuzziness, and a lesson in how it really does take a village to raise a child, as well as community is priceless.

Happy reading folks!

2 comments:

  1. My goodness! Your review of my novel is wonderful. Thank you so much for reading CeeCee's story and for you kind words. I'm tickled that you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beth,
    I am honored that you not only read my review of your book, but also that you enjoyed it.

    It is a pleasure and privilege to follow you on twitter and have your return follow.

    Thank you for your gift of words to the world. You have quite a gift.

    ReplyDelete